Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Pogues


Tonight I watched the finale of American Idol.

Jordin won, but I was pulling for Blake. Ah well, your pony can't always bring it home I suppose.
Cheers to Jordin though, she is a solid singer.

While watching the show, I somehow got to thinking about The Pogues (don't ask me how it happened, but it did).
For those youngsters out there, The Pogues were an Irish band which played Irish folk songs, with a punk influence.
The Pogues formed in the early 80's, and are still around today in some form or another.
The did fire the lead singer, and front man for the original band, Shane MacGowan in 1996 (he was heavy into drugs and alcohol and was a total wreck.....and still is).
In my opinion, they may have become more stable after firing Shane, but the vibe was never the same. Shane embodied the spirit of that band, and they lost a lot of fans afterwards.

But, as I was thinking about their music, I got the itch to hunt around for some clips on YouTube (as usual).

These may not be the best clips, but it brought back some memories for all the same.

Enjoy!

The Pogues & The Dubliners - The Irish Rover


The Pogues - Sally MacLennane


the pogues - fairytale of new york


Katie Melua and The Pogues: Fairytale of New York


POGUES St. Patricks Day 1990 - singing White City, and Body Of An American



Laterz
AH

No comments:


The Hole - video powered by Metacafe Add to Technorati Favorites Blogarama - The Blog Directory