Monday, April 09, 2007

Buying Bulk.....

I used to think it was crazy, buying bulk groceries that is. I thought "what the hell would compel someone to buy massive jars of pickles, and huge cans of tuna?" It seemed preposterous you would have the urge to buy a vat of ketchup so big you could almost swim in it.

Then I got a membership at Costco.

Costco is a bulk food empire, where it's always busy, yet the shelves are always full.
You can buy fresh fruit, 2lb boxes of cereal, gallon jars of dill pickles, lawn furniture, exercise equipment, pre-made frozen sandwiches, computers, books, toys, 80 lb bags of dog food, packages of 60 rolls of bathroom tissue.......well you get the picture. Quite a lot to choose from, and all in big quantities.

I went initially with a friend of mine, let's call her Beatrice (names are anonymous here, remember). She walked me through the store, and I was amazed at the variety and quantity of the items there.
It was on the 3rd visit I signed up for a membership.

I suppose what I'm going for here, is I am quite happy to buy a nuclear sized chicken, or 40 dozen spring rolls, if it means I can get a deal. I may have to eat spring rolls for months afterward, but sweet Jesus did I pay cheap for 'em!!!

I recommend any big discount bulk store. Go shop to your hearts content, and you won't really have to go back for weeks after. You may be broke or have to take out a second mortgage to pay for your groceries, but you will be satisfied with the full freezer it will creates.

Happy gluttony everybody!

Laterz
AH

No comments:


The Hole - video powered by Metacafe Add to Technorati Favorites Blogarama - The Blog Directory