Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Inner Geek

It's been a busy week since I last posted. Singing rehearsals and performance, recording for a new album, my second ever LAN party, lots to do at work and.......ok hold on a second.....did I say LAN party?

Well I suppose I did!

Yup, I have now been to two, count 'em, two LAN parties in my whole lifetime. Both of which were this year, within the last month.
It sounds strange to me, someone in their thirties, to say the phrase "LAN party" without giggling a little. I somehow picture teenagers going to a party and playing video games all day, with their moms outside on the deck in the backyard having a few wobbly pops.
But then again, people nowadays seem to be embracing their inner geek. I guess I can as well without fear of reprisal. Well, not much anyway. There are certainly a lot of geek types where I work, so there should be no problems there.
Now my neighbors on the other hand, well they would make fun of me for sure.

They believe in cars, music, and chicks.

Hold on a sec.....that sounds pretty good. Like you could picture a car, with a chick in it, and some loud music playing from it. Yeah, that's pretty sweet!

Alright, I can definitely see the merit in their side of this. After all, I am a maple leaf carrying Canadian, I know how to drink and whore around with the best of 'em!
But I also can stay at home every once in a while and hone my video playing acuity. You have to hone, you gotta! You gotta keep your trigger finger strong, and sensitive. You need to practice all the time, lest your hand cramp up in the middle of a crazy fire fight! Or you come face to face with your nemesis online, and bam, he takes you down in PK glory...tea bagging his way into legend on your face!

Yeah, sometimes it's a fine line between having geek tendencies, and going all the way geek. Going geek happen to all kinds of people, and it's not always something you can see coming, or avoid for that matter.
A few extra minutes on the computer each night. Choosing to surf or troll the boards instead of watching tv.
God forbid you ever lose your girlfriend, because that's the time when you are most at risk of going geek. Too much time on your hands, more money in your pocket......maybe a few too many visits to the local game store?! Huh?!
Yup, and just like that....SHAAAA-BAM, you got a new game on the front seat next to you. You look over at it several times as you drive home, eagerly thinking of how cool it will be to play it.
You might even contemplate opening the game while driving home, yeah. Maybe you could gain a few insights into the game-play of this title prior to even installing it! Yeah, You could be a pro within a few hours if you got a jump start.

Wow, that was too real for me! I think that happened to me a month or so ago.

Wait, did I hit geek already??? No, I went to a wedding social 2 weekends ago, I'm safe. And as I recall, I drank heavily, and hit on a few women. Yes, I have staved off catching geek for the time being.
The problem is, geek is always knocking on my door. Geek is constantly trying to get me to play for his team.
Geek may be an influence in my life, and if geek were a town, I would say I do know the route to get there, and have to admit to visiting it now and then.
But I don't live in geek. Some of my friends do, but I just like visiting once in a while.

So, in the end, really nothing to be ashamed of people.

Embrace Your Inner Geek!

Laterz.
AH

1 comment:

JP said...

There is no inner geek. There is geek and not geek.

The fact that you must consider whether you have crossed the geek Rubicon in itself is demonstration of your not geek. Those of us who are in fact geek are greatly apreciative of our normal acquantances, who expose us to things like "women" and "beer", and occasionally humor us by participating in our geek events, thereby lending some non-geek legitimacy.

Oh, and real geeks know to stay out of side-cars...


The Hole - video powered by Metacafe Add to Technorati Favorites Blogarama - The Blog Directory